Saturday, March 29, 2008

Achievement Ladder's Positive Impact 33 Years Later

On Sunday, February 23, 1975, my family and I attended Saint Edmond Church in Philadelphia, PA. After the Mass, I picked up a Parish Bulletin for future reference. On the back of the Parish Bulletin, I noticed for the first time the verse on the"Ladder of Achievement." The Saint Edmond Church Bulletin listed the following:

100% - I did.
90% - I will.
80% - I can.
70% - I think I can.
60% - I might.
50% - I think I might.
40% - What is it?
30% - I wish I could.
20% - I don't know how.
10% - I can't.
0% - I won't.

Looking at that Parish Bulletin today after more than 33 years, I realize that my educational philosophy has been affected and impacted by this Ladder of Achievement. During the 70s, I was employed as a full-time instructor at a Pennsylvanian Community College in Williamsport. I made numerous copies of the Ladder of Achievement verse over the years and left them on my desk for students to pick up and hopefully use the positive philosophy in their lives.

When I retired from a Florida Community College after 24 years of service five years ago, this Ladder of Achievement verse was an essential part of my orientations for first time students and for returning adults to the educational system after many years of lifelong learning experiences. As I continue to teach part time at a local community college, I now use the verse in my website: www.ladoach.com.as well as pass out copies of the Ladder of Achievement in my classes. Using this blog, "Achievement Ladder," gives me an opportunity to reach more individuals who are interested in making a positive difference in their community and in their personal lives. May we all continue our ambitious climb up and down our Ladder of Achievement with enthusiasm, with perseverance, and with the self-confidence that saying, "I did it," brings to our lifelong learning adventures.

1 comment:

Munin said...

It is simple but means a lot. Guess
if we just adapt such "can do' behaviour we would achieve a lot.

You might be interested in the Young Entrepreneur Society from the www.YoungEntrepreneurSociety.com. A great documentary about successful entrepreneurs.