Friday, November 16, 2007

Why climb the Ladder of Achievement

At first glance, the upward climb on the Ladder of Achievement from 0 percent to the optimum 100 percent seems overwhelming. However, the reasons why we learn either positively or negatively are different for each person. Why we want to learn depends on a number of factors. Are we ready to launch out into the unknown? Do I have the necessary skills to attempt a new learning situation? Do I have the desire, the dedication, the determination, the discipline, and the aptitudes to venture forth into the great unknown. What is my internal focus? What is the external focus? What is my attitude toward learning something new that takes me away from my comfort zone? What are the risks involved with attempting to learn about persons, places, things, information that might cause me undue stress?

Why am I driven to learn? Why are my motivations suspect in attempting to uncover a new dimension or a brand new theory outside the box of comfort? Why should I spend time, talents, and treasures to learn a body of knowledge that is uncomfortable to me at the time?

When I was learning how to drive an automobile for the first time at age 35, my motivation was to keep my new career choice and to provide for my family. Prior to owning an automobile, my choice of transportation was public transportation in large metropolitan areas. Even with good driver education instructors, I was unable to feel comfortable in learning stick shift on a van. I avoided any stick shift vehicles and chose automatic transmission for ease and convenience. Prior to getting my first license to drive, my driver education instructor gave me lots of encouragement and plenty of sound practice before attempting to pass the driver's test for my license. With his positive learning methods, he taught me the proper way to handle the automobile with emphasis on safety and defensive driving techniques. Why I didn't learn before age 35 was simply that I could not afford an automobile and that I had a fear of driving. He helped me overcome my fear with a confidence that simply said....YOU CAN DO IT!...

Think of the many areas that you may have selected to learn over the course of your life. Why did you really learn and what were the factors that helped you succeed? Encouragement goes a long way to assist a learner to choose to climb up the Ladder of Achievement and to continue the positive struggle to obtain a successful conclusion. Examine why you chose your current career path? As a three year old child will ask many, many times....WHY...WHY...WHY...WHY.... you too should ask yourself...Why am I doing what I am doing? Do I really enjoy what I am doing? If I am not enjoying my chosen career, WHY AM I DOING IT and what will make me make reconsider the WHYS OF MY LIFE!

No comments: